Wednesday, August 6, 2014

10 Things Not to Say to a Depressed Person

By
Associate Editor

10 Things Not to Say to a Depressed PersonCBS News and Health.com published a nice gallery listing what you should and shouldn’t tell a depressed love one.
I have my own list. Here are 10 things you definitely don’t want to say, a collection of the gems that I heard when well-intentioned people opened their mouths and said
 something really stupid to me the two years I was in sorry shape.

1. It’s all in your head. You need to think positive.
Upon hearing this, I wanted to throw a life-size figure of Tony Robbins at them. Because, while optimism is certainly important in training the brain, studies have shown that people who are severely depressed or acutely anxious only activate their amydalas (fear center of the brain) by forcing positive thinking.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/10/19/10-things-not-to-say-to-a-depressed-person/#at_pco=smlre-1.0&at_si=53e260b9e4c0b993&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=0&at_tot=4

No comments:

Post a Comment